Friday, November 14, 2014

Poetry bits

For me, the autumn so far has been the Season of Dancing, with Cabaret Dance Camp in mid-October and then a weekend-long workshop with Hossam and Serena Ramzy at Zein's Dance Studio in Austin, and now I have at least one performance coming up before the end of the year. Woo! But as autumn fades into what is currently a hard-freezing taste of winter, so my heart turns to words again. I'm going to the Triple Crown Open Mic this Sunday, the 16th, to read some of my bawdy poems that I don't usually perform -- pitch some woo at the crowd there & see what sticks. Plus, poetry and music used to be very closely related, so spouting out some words on stage at the live music hot spot just seems logical. If you're in town and want to come see, things get started at 7 p.m.

Also, I've just sent some pieces to The Literati Quarterly, the fantastically designed San Marcos-based arts journal. It is really well-designed and they have printed some quality work, so I'm hoping that at least one thing I've sent them is pleasing to the eye and ear. If you've got something you'd like to submit -- poetry, speculative fiction, animation, video, artwork, music, critiques, etc. -- the deadline for the next issue is Dec. 1. Check out their submissions page to find out more about what they're looking for and where to send it.

If you've never read or heard any of my poetry, here is a piece that's usually a crowd favorite, commonly known as "The Fat Businessman" although that's not its actual title, published at Asinine Poetry. They also included it in their podcast that month (scroll down to #86), with some hilarious sound effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember when commenting that manners cost nothing.